Moving heavy furniture can be a daunting task, especially if you're not familiar with the proper techniques and equipment. As professional movers, we've seen it all and we know that moving large and heavy items can be challenging and dangerous if not done properly. In this article, we'll share our insider tips on the best way to move heavy furniture, so you can make your next move a breeze.
1. Plan ahead: Before you begin moving your furniture, it's important to plan ahead and prepare. Measure doorways, hallways, and stairwells to ensure that your furniture will fit through them. Remove any obstacles that may be in the way and clear a path for your furniture to be moved.
2. Gather the right equipment: To move heavy furniture safely, you'll need the right equipment. Furniture sliders, dollies, and furniture straps are all essential tools for moving large and heavy items. Furniture sliders allow you to easily move heavy items across carpeted or hardwood floors. Dollies and furniture straps are great for lifting and moving heavy items up and down stairs.
3. Disassemble what you can: If possible, disassemble your furniture before moving it. This will make it easier to move and will also protect your furniture from damage. Be sure to keep all hardware and instructions in a safe place, so you can reassemble your furniture once you've moved.
4. Use the right lifting technique: When lifting heavy furniture, it's important to use the right technique. Bend your knees and keep your back straight when lifting. Use your legs, not your back, to lift the furniture. Avoid twisting your body when lifting and always lift with a partner if the item is too heavy for one person.
5. Protect your furniture: To protect your furniture during the move, be sure to wrap it in furniture pads or blankets. This will protect it from scratches, dings, and other damages.
6. Hire professional movers: If you're not comfortable with moving heavy furniture or don't have the equipment to do it safely, it may be best to hire professional movers. Not only do they have the right equipment, but they are also trained to move heavy items safely, minimising the risk of injury or damage.
By following these tips, you'll be able to move your heavy furniture safely and efficiently. Remember to plan ahead, gather the right equipment, disassemble what you can, use the right lifting technique, protect your furniture, and consider hiring professional movers if needed. With a little preparation and the right tools, you'll be able to move your heavy furniture like a pro.